Tory-run Northamptonshire has no local elections today.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Tory-run Northamptonshire has no local elections today.

Post by bindeweede »

This County Isn’t Voting Today Because They Don’t Have Enough Money To Run Elections.

Crisis-hit Northampton County council is desperately trying to make savings after years of overspending, so district and borough council elections are off.
"When Will People Get To Vote?

Voters in the county could potentially have to wait until beyond 2020 to head to the polls.

By then, it is likely that the council will no longer exist, and will have become two new authorities under plans due to come into effect in April 2020.

But even those plans could be delayed because of, you guessed it, Brexit dominating ministers’ time."

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 4w0on48njx

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-47967416

Tony.Williams

Re: Tory-run Northamptonshire has no local elections today.

Post by Tony.Williams »

Rather curious that spokesmen for both main parties (esp the Tories), plus the Brexit-supporting newspapers, have concluded that the hammering they received in the elections showed that they needed to get on with Brexit, when the main beneficiaries of the votes they lost were the LibDems and the Greens. Neither of these parties being noted as strong supporters of Brexit... :con

chaggle

Post by chaggle »

It's bloody stupid is what it is.

I have no idea if they are immensely thick or lying.

Or just possibly it's that they want Brexit, but they know the electorate has changed to remain, and they need to 'get on with it' in their own interests while they can against the 'will of the people', before they are voted out.

Any other ideas?
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Perhaps they're just desperate to get Brexit off their agenda, otherwise it will be hanging around forever.

chaggle

Post by chaggle »

The only way it would be off the agenda is hard Brexit. Anything else would have Farage and his ilk protesting that we haven't left properly - the will of the people has been thwarted.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Yes, but once they've got something across the line (which brings to mind the London marathon runner crawling across the finish last weekend) they can say they've delivered and ignore Farage. I suspect that his Brexit party will fade away once an agreement is reached, most people will regard it as being all over and will lose interest.