Tactical voting on Thursday.

chaggle

Tactical voting on Thursday.

Post by chaggle » Mon May 20, 2019 1:21 pm

This site...

https://www.remainvoter.com/

...claims that using tech they can advise voters in each constituency how to vote in order to maximise the number of remainer MEPs returned.

This is not easy apparently due to the complex nature of the d'Hondt system.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/91150.stm
The basic idea is that a party's vote total is divided by a certain figure which increases as it wins more seats. As the divisor becomes bigger, the party's total in succeeding rounds gets smaller, allowing parties with lower initial totals to win seats.

The divisor in the first round is one (ie it has no effect) and thereafter it is the total number of seats gained plus one.
:con

In our constituency (The South West and Gibraltar) they are recommending a vote for the Green party.

So if any of you are intending to vote remain tactically this may help.

Incidentally they are predicting very few votes for the Conservatives.

I am seeing every day on TV that people are saying the will never vote for the Tories again. These are nearly always disenchanted leavers who are pissed off with the way they are handling Brexit.

But there must be many Tory remainers (and I confess I am one and BH another - we have voted for them in the past) who similarly would not ever support them again.

I suspect they are mortally wounded.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

bindeweede
Site Admin

Re: Tactical voting on Thursday.

Post by bindeweede » Tue May 21, 2019 6:58 pm

"Remainvoter" seems to be arousing some suspicions on Twitter, for what that is worth. Voting for Greens being recommended in most regions, even though other outfits suggest LD for the anti-Brexit vote.

Labour likely to do poorly, and Conservatives even worse. Results coming in on Sunday night I believe, and should at least be "interesting".

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Wed May 22, 2019 11:10 am

I have tried to get my head around the d'Hondt system but my surviving, somewhat pickled, brain cell takes one look and decides it has better things to do...

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Wed May 22, 2019 1:33 pm

I found out about remainvoter.com through Mike Galsworthy (Scientists for EU) on facebook. He interviewed one of the remainvoter software engineers and appeared to be promoting them. However since then he has posted that some of their recommendations are dodgy - even 'nonsense'.

Just have to vote green or LibDem I guess.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con

Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams » Wed May 22, 2019 3:12 pm

I'm really hoping that at some point both the major parties will split under their own contradictions. But realistically, this is most likely to happen given a change from FPTP voting to a more proportional system.